The Quest to be beach body ready- are you eating ENOUGH?
Holiday prep is now in full swing- with the majority of us going away at some point in the next few months, most of us are focusing on our bodies even more than usual.
It is easier than ever to fall for the latest 800 calorie meal plan or diet shake replacement service, peddling it as a quick and painless way to reach your size/weight/dress size
And indeed for the first couple of weeks you may think , “YES!, I have found a diet that works for me!. “
Then the mood swings, fatigue and hunger truly kick in.
And every year it gets harder.
All the weight you painstakingly lost piles back on.
And sometimes you end up heavier than you were before you started.
I will keep this as short as I can ( this is an area I am very passionate about and am aware that I will bang on if given enough free rein to do so!)- as a human our main priority is to survive, and if our food is substantially slashed, it perceives it is being starved – this isn’t an unusual circumstance for people to find themselves in on some of the plans out there , where calories are often slashed by over half of what we would be maintaining our weight on.
From here, your body will fight you every step of the way; largely in the form of mood swings, fatigue and a pre-occupation with junk food (1). This is not to say that fat loss is always a walk in the park, but it shouldn’t make you miserable.
So two things you need to know:
1)THE LATEST COOKIE CUTTER MEAL PLAN WONT WORK FOR EVERYONE- if you have watched my stories on Instagram you will likely know that I do emphasise the fact that everyone is different, and therefore calorie intakes and requirements will differ- hence why some will crash and burn on a 1200 calorie meal plan, whilst others will be pretty comfortable.
2) LET’S GET ORGANISED- if you have a goal weight in mind, you need to make sure you leave enough time- it is May now, but depending on your goals and when your holiday is, you will probably still have enough time to do things properly , so keep reading :) .
So what should I do ?
With both of these points in mind, I highly recommend tracking your current calorie intake , using a tracking app e.g. MyFitnessPal, for a short period of time- 3 to 7 days should be sufficient.
Based on this information, you would calculate an appropriate decrease .
For my clients, I will always tailor this to their current weight and goals, but an example, and excellent basic rule of thumb here, if you are slightly overweight, or just want to ‘lean out a bit’ is:
1) Reduce your calories by 500 per day.
2) Set your goal timeline; If it is to lose half a stone ( 7lbs-just slightly over 3kg) , start this reduction about 8 weeks before your holiday, then for each additional pound you want to lose beyond this, add another week.
· A diet that will get you to the body YOU want, without the nasty drama- you won’t be starving, your social life won’t be ruined and you will still be able to enjoy great food.
· Fat loss that will stay OFF! Yes , a huge reduction in food you will produce a large weight loss initially; but will it stay off long term? Honestly, Its highly unlikely, and, as mentioned above, many will end up bigger than before they started (2)…
If you want any further help mapping out your beach body diet plan, do not hesitate to contact me- I am easily reached via email ( via my contact page), or Instagram or Facebook (for links to these click the Instagram or Facebook icon at the top of the page)
1. MacLean et al (2011) Biology’s response to dieting: the impetus for weight regain, American Journal of Physiology, 301 (3): R581-R600; Doi: 10.1152/ajprequ.00755.2010
2. Dulloo et al (2015) How dieting makes the lean fatter: from a perspective of body composition autoregulation through adipostats and proteinstats awaiting discovery, Obesity Reviews, Doi: 10.1111/obr.12253
#iifym #food #foodblogger #cleaneating #Protein #weightlossjourney #Iifym #Girlsthatlift #Nutrition #Nutritionist #Diet #fatloss #weightloss #eatclean #Fitfam #Health #Healthyfood #Motivation #Fitspiration #Blog #Onlinecoach #lifestyle #strong #fitness #healthychoices #nutritiontips #macros #girlgains#bikinibody #beachbody #mealplan